*** PLEASE VISIT OUR NEW AND IMPROVED NEWS WEBSITE. CLICK HERE

Monday, May 23, 2011

NY Assemblyman Calls for Hotel Legislation

New York Daily News: New York's hotel maids would be fitted with panic buttons under a bill prompted by Dominique Strauss-Kahn's arrest on charges of attacking a Sofitel housekeeper.

The legislation, which Assemblyman Rory Lancman (D-Queens) plans to introduce Monday, calls for maids to carry alarms with small buttons that look like key chains and can alert security to peril.

"Housekeepers at hotels have a right not to be sexually attacked," said Lancman Sunday outside the Sofitel on W. 44th St. "We send hotel workers into rooms. By themselves. With no security."

Lancman said the incident last Saturday, when a 32-year-old Sofitel maid told cops that the French fat cat forced her to perform oral sex and tried to rape her, inspired the bill. Housekeepers applauded the proposed law, saying predatory guests are common.

Workers at the Hilton New York on Sixth Ave. said a 19th-floor maid hid from a naked tourist Wednesday after he chased her screaming, "I need sex! I need sex!" as she tried to tidy up his room. "I just ran away and went into another room and locked the door," she told the Daily News.

"I told my supervisor. She came back to the room with me to clean it. I didn't want to be alone," she said. The woman said she didn't report it to hotel security because the man checked out later that day.

A Holiday Inn SoHo maid said she uses her supply cart to prop open the room door to feel safe. "There is no time to call security. There is no time to use the phone," she said. "You just have to run."

A housekeeper at the Millenium Hilton said she once caught a male guest masturbating and now eyes the room's mirrors before going inside. "If there is a man in the room and he asks for service, I put my vacuum in the door. I never ever close the door. Ever," she said.

No comments: