*** PLEASE VISIT OUR NEW AND IMPROVED NEWS WEBSITE. CLICK HERE

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Top 5 Travel Apps for the iPad

Loopt Pulse
Business Review Europe: While the iPad may not be quite as portable as a smartphone, it does have a lot of benefits as a travel companion for businessmen and women. The iPad fits easily into compact hand-luggage or a briefcase making it extremely portable, so you can pull it out in the back of a cab or in the departure lounge of an airport. On top of this its large screen makes navigating web pages and maps a lot easier on the iPad than on a smartphone. The iPad is also brilliant for business travellers who enjoy reading or gaming during long journeys. Here at Business Review Europe we have compiled a list of the top five iPad apps which are essential for every frequent business traveler.

#1 KAYAK
Similarly to KAYAK'S website and iPhone app, the KAYAK iPad app is the best search engine for flights, hotels and car rental deals. Dubbed ‘The most popular iPad travel app’ KAYAK can track your flight status, view and manage your trip itinerary, look up baggage fees and access airline numbers and airport information. Furthermore, the iPad app will allow you to book your hotel directly by simply choosing KAYAK as your booking option.

#2 Loopt Pulse
When you have just landed in an unknown city and you are a tired from travelling the last thing most business travellers want to do is go traipsing around in search of something to do, eat or drink. Having said that, business travellers often stop in cities for a small amount of time yet still want to get a feel for their destination. Loopt Pulse brings up interesting activities, eateries and bars in real-time by displaying photos and maps to direct you to the best locations quickly and easily.

#3 WeatherBug Elite
Do not get caught in the rain without an umbrella or caught in the cold without a coat. With a limited baggage allowance, business travellers also need to know what to pack before heading off to unknown destinations and the iPad does not have a built-in weather app so investing in one is essential for the frequent business traveler. WeatherBug Elite looks great and will provide users with advert free, ongoing weather updates.

#4 TruPhone
The iPad is admittedly, not the best phone in the world. But a VoIP calling app like TruPhone could be much more convenient than dealing with international pay phones and calling cards, assuming you have access to a Wi-Fi hotspot. You will need a set of earphones with a microphone; the standard iPhone earbuds will work fine. The app is free; however calls will cost users extra.

#5 iBooks
Apple's iBooks e-book reader and iBookstore will open the doors to plenty of published travel content, ranging from travel guidebooks to foreign-language dictionaries to travelogues. Plus, you can use it to read novels or other books while you are traveling, so you do not have to lug a small library around with you on business trips. The app is free; however books may cost extra.

4 comments:

Samual said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Samual said...

Its a really very interesting Blog. To prevent jet lag while air travel, avoid, or at least reduce your intake of, alcohol and stimulants like coffee and tea. You want your body to adjust to the new time zone, not be adjusted to it.

Hydration and jet lag

Anonymous said...

This looks like a great bunch of apps, love em! Should be perfect for my trip Scotland! As a new iPhone/iPad user this sounds like a must for me, as like you said, a lot of good apps seem to get displaced and by apps that are simply newer, not better, and become buried and hard to find.. One app you may want to check out is the TV Everywhere app from DISH Network. As a customer/employee I’m able to watch live or recorded TV right off my home receiver onto my mobile device. Love it, it’s a must for travelling, too.

Drew said...

I was tempted to get an iPad, but I know I'd end up dropping it and cracking the screen or something. My first iPhone went that way.

I certainly wouldn't try to go on a business trip without my iPhone though. The last time BA went on strike, I got stranded and like an idiot, I didn't check the status of my flight before leaving for the airport. And, like an even bigger idiot, I forgot to charge my laptop and the battery died on me. But I managed to get myself booked into serviced apartments through my iPhone, which gave me a more private place to sulk, until I could get a flight.

If that app's any use to anyone, I think it's available on iPad too.