*** PLEASE VISIT OUR NEW AND IMPROVED NEWS WEBSITE. CLICK HERE

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Travel Gear: Backpack with Alarm

The Republic: Name: iSafe Collegiate Laptop Backpack

What it is: Made of rip-stop nylon, this roomy backpack can accommodate a laptop with a 15.4-inch screen. As a backpack, it's fairly standard, but as an alarm system, it's phenomenal. This packs a two-speaker alarm that sounds as if it could raise the dead. It also has a red strobe that flashes when the alarm sounds. This seems at least as loud as a car alarm; you will draw attention.

The good: I have traveled many places where I wasn't necessarily fearful for my safety, but I did wonder what I would do if I needed help against a personal threat. I mean, "help" isn't necessarily a universal plea, and screaming doesn't come easily for me. This would be a good solution. By tugging a little cord protected by a Velcro cover in the front of the right shoulder strap, you pull a pin that sounds the alarm. In an instant, everyone within at least a block will know something is wrong. A mugger would drop it immediately, unless he's an idiot. Not only would I appreciate this on a trip into unfamiliar territory, I would send it with my daughter to her new college campus — if I had a daughter.

The bad: Just two things. To activate the alarm, you do need to have quick access to the pin. That means that in areas where you suspect danger, you would need to have your fingers at the ready. Also, going through airport security with a mysterious little box and two 9-volt batteries inside the backpack will raise suspicions. I would simply unplug the unit, pull it out and lay it in the X-ray tray, just as you would a laptop.

Cost: $80

Available from: isafebags.com

No comments: